Astonishing health uses of baking soda
Sodium bicarbonate, also called baking soda, is a natural mineral that can provide some pretty astonishing health benefits. It is a commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms. Used primarily as a leavening agent in baking, bicarbonate of soda also has several health applications, which range from a simple toothpaste and skin cleanser to a medical treatment for certain serious illness.
(1) Antacid: Sodium bicarbonate reduces stomach acid. It is used as an antacid to treat heartburn, indigestion, and upset stomach. Sodium bicarbonate is a very quick-acting antacid. It should be used only for temporary relief. If you need to treat long-term stomach acid problems (e.g., peptic ulcer disease, GERD), talk with your doctor about other medications.
(2) Bath soak: Bicarbonate of soda can also be used in a foot soak to soften rough calluses and skin. Adding bicarbonate of soda to a full bath will help to neutralize acids on the skin and wash away excess skin oil perspiration.
(3) Mouth care: The mildly abrasive qualities of bicarbonate of soda can be applied to oral hygiene. Bicarbonate of soda and water can be used as a simple toothpaste to keep teeth clean and white.
(4) Fine Scrub & Deodorant: A simple paste of bicarbonate of soda and water can be gently rubbed on the skin in a circular motion as an exfoliant. The fine crystals in bicarbonate of soda will remove dead cells and leave the skin feeling smooth and clean. This treatment can be used as both a body and facial scrub and is mild enough to use daily, if desired. Bicarbonate of soda can also help reduce body odor.
(5) Acidosis: In certain illnesses, such as gout or kidney disease, the levels of acid in the bloodstream or urine can become excessively high. Bicarbonate of soda can be administered either orally as a tablet or powder or intravenously in controlled medical situations where acidosis of the body occurs.
When using bicarbonate of soda, ensure it is completely dissolved before taking the solution. When using bicarbonate of soda/sodium bicarbonate people should be aware of the side effects and precautions associated with it (More in the Medication section of this platform)....