5 health benefits of eggplant
Eggplant, also known as aubergine, has different shapes and colors, but most of them are purple and in the shape of an egg. It has many beneficial nutrients and phytochemical compounds that benefit our health. It comes loaded with vitamins and minerals, but its health benefits extend beyond just adding vital nutrients to a meal.
(1) Antioxidant: Chlorogenic Acid is a plant compound that is contained in eggplants and is known for its high antioxidant activity. Antioxidants have a great capacity to fight free radicals - the chemicals that cause oxidation -- and is also able to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Chlorogenic acid is also antimutagenic, which means it can protect cells from mutating into cancer cells and it is also antiviral.
(2) Type 2 diabetes: Eggplant is also an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help protect against type 2 diabetes and keeps the digestive system regular. The vitamins in eggplant consist primarily of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), B vitamins, folate and vitamin C. Eggplant is also rich in minerals, boasting a large quantity of potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous.
(3) Cancer: Polyphenols in eggplant have been found to exhibit anti-cancer effects. Anthocyanins and chlorogenic acid function as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. They protect body cells from damage caused by free radicals and in turn prevent tumor growth and invasion and spread of cancer cells. They also stimulate detoxifying enzymes within cells and promote cancer cell death.
(4) Cognitive function: Findings suggest that nasunin, a compound found in eggplant skin, is a powerful antioxidant that protects the lipids comprising cell membranes in brain cells from free radical damage. Research has also shown that other compounds found in eggplant inhibit neuroinflammation and facilitate blood flow to the brain. This helps prevent age-related mental disorders and also improves memory.
(5) Weight management and satiety: Eggplant is rich in dietary fiber which is commonly recognized as important factor in weight management and. These compounds increase satiety and reduce appetite, making you feel fuller for longer and thereby lowering your overall calorie intake....