How to make the most of your appointment with the doctor?
At some point in our lives, we all become patients and we need to have one or several appointments with a doctor. It is therefore important that you prepare thoroughly your appointment and that you leave the doctors office with a good understanding of what you need to do next to manage your health problem.
According to NHS.uk, here are a few things you can prepare in advance that will help you to get the most out of the meeting with your doctor.
(1) Make some notes of things you want to discuss or that you should remember to tell your doctor (medicines you use including vitamins and supplements, other conditions you have, symptoms and their evolution etc.).
(2) During the appointment, feel free to ask questions about things you find unclear. Ask the health professional to explain them to you until you are sure you understand. If you feel more comfortable, take someone from your family with you during the appointment.
(3) Write things down, or ask a family member or friend to take notes.
(4) Before you leave your appointment, check again with your doctor if everything was covered and if you have a good understanding of the next steps. Review your notes again.
(5) After your appointment, make sure that you have all your notes and that you book the tests you need and put the dates in your diary....