Easy home remedies for sore throats
A sore throat is normally a symptom of a bacterial or viral infection, such as the common cold. In around a third of cases, no cause for the sore throat can be found. Allergies, dry air, and outdoor pollution, as well as measles, chickenpox, mononucleosis (mono), and the croup, can all cause sore throats. These illnesses are all viral infections that will not respond to antibiotics.
Sometimes home natural treatment can be all that is needed for a sore throat caused by a virus. These treatments may include:
(1) Honey: Honey mixed in tea or simply taken straight up has long been a home remedy for sore throat. Scientific studies have confirmed this natural wonder works. Studies have also shown that honey is an effective wound healer, which means it may also help speed healing for sore throats.
(2) Salt Water: Gargling with warm salt water can help soothe a sore throat and break down secretions. It’s also known to help kill bacteria in the throat. According to WebMD, you should gargle at least once each hour with 1 tsp (5 g) of salt dissolved in (240 ml of warm water. If you have postnasal drip, gargle often to prevent more throat irritation.
(3) Sage and Echinacea: Sage and echinacea together may help reduce sore throat symptoms. Echinacea/sage spray was just as effective as the medicinal spray for treating sore throats.
Other self-care tips may include:
(1) Avoid food or drink that is too hot as this could irritate your throat.
(2) Eat cool, soft food and drink cool or warm liquids.
(3) Adults and older children can suck lozenges, hard sweets, ice cubes or ice lollies.
(4) Avoid smoking and smoky environments.
(5) Regularly gargle with a mouthwash of warm, salty water to reduce any swelling or pain.
(6) Drink enough fluids, especially if you have a high temperature (fever)....