7 health facts about green tea
Drinking tea has been associated with health benefits for centuries, but only in recent years it has received more scientific attention.
According to Harvard Medical School, teas health benefits are largely due to its high content of flavonoids — plant-derived compounds that are antioxidants. Green tea is the best food source of a group called catechins. In test tubes, catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E in halting oxidative damage to cells and appear to have other disease-fighting properties. Studies have found an association between consuming green tea and a reduced risk for several cancers, including, skin, breast, lung, colon, esophageal, and bladder.
Additional benefits for regular consumers of green and black teas include:
(1) A reduced risk for heart disease. The antioxidants in green, black, and oolong teas can help block the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol, increase HDL (good) cholesterol and improve artery function
(2) Healthy Cells: Catechins are antioxidants that fight and may even prevent cell damage. Green tea is not processed much before it is poured in your cup, so it is rich in catechins.
(3) Brain Health: In one Swiss study, MRIs revealed that people who drank green tea had greater activity in the working-memory area of their brains. Green tea has also been shown to help block the formation of plaques that are linked to Alzheimers disease.
(4) Diabetes: Green tea seems to help keep blood sugar stable in people with diabetes. Because catechins lower cholesterol and blood pressure, they can help protect against the damage a high-fat diet can cause.
(5) Weight Loss: Green tea may promote some weight loss in overweight and obese adults
(6) Cancer: Studies on green tea’s impact on cancer have been mixed. But green tea is known to aid healthy cells in all stages of growth. There are some indications green tea may help destroy cancer cells.
(7) Stress: Sipping tea helps you slow down and relax. An amino acid called theanine found in green tea can provide a calming effect....