The power of naps
Do you need a way to relax or you just feel tired and sleepy? Then, you might just need to take a nap. To make the most out of a nap it is important to understand how to take a good nap.
Napping offers various benefits for healthy adults, including: relaxation, reduced fatigue, increased alertness, improved mood, improved performance (quicker reaction time, better memory, less confusion, and fewer accidents and mistakes). Research has found that napping regularly may reduce stress and even decrease your risk of heart disease.
Napping isnt for everyone. Some people have trouble sleeping in places other than their own beds, while others simply cant sleep during the day.
According to Harvard Medical School, here are some tips to consider if you want to take a good nap:
(1) Keep it short. The 20- to 30-minute nap may be the ideal pick-me-up. Even just napping for a few minutes has benefits.
(2) Find a dark, quiet, cool place. You dont want to waste a lot of time getting to sleep. Reducing light and noise helps most people nod off faster. Cool temperatures are helpful, too
(3) Plan on it. Waiting till daytime sleepiness gets so bad that you have to take a nap can be uncomfortable and dangerous if, say, youre driving. A regular nap time may also help you get to sleep faster and wake up quicker.
(4) Time your caffeine. Caffeine takes some time to kick in. Regardless of the exact timing, you need to coordinate caffeine intake with your nap.
(5) Dont feel guilty! The well-timed nap can make you more productive at work and at home....