How to prevent varicose veins?
Varicose veins are swollen and enlarged veins, usually blue or dark purple in colour. They may also be lumpy, bulging or twisted in appearance. They mostly occur in the legs.
Other symptoms include:
(1) aching, heavy and uncomfortable legs
(2) swollen feet and ankles
(3) muscle cramp in your legs
You can't prevent varicose veins from forming. However, you can prevent the ones you have from getting worse. You can also take steps to delay other varicose veins from forming. However, there are ways to ease symptoms of existing varicose veins, such as:
(1) Avoiding standing or sitting still for long periods, trying to move around every 30 minutes
(2) Taking regular breaks throughout the day, raising the legs on pillows while resting to ease discomfort
(3) Exercising regularly can improve circulation and help maintain a healthy weight.
(4) If you are overweight or obese, try to lose weight. This will improve blood flow and ease the pressure on your veins.
(5) Wear compression stockings if your doctor recommends them. These stockings create gentle pressure up the leg. The pressure keeps blood from pooling in the veins and decreases swelling in the legs.
(6) Eat a high-fiber, low-salt diet and avoid high heels and tight clothes...